[Dune-devel] [GSoC2013]

Luke Bovard lbovard at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Apr 9 07:34:47 CEST 2013

Greetings,

I saw your organisation on the GSoC list and it has made me very excited. I
am currently a graduate student (Masters) in applied mathematics doing
scientific computation, specifically working on computational fluids.

I am interested in the project on sparse matrices and I'm wondering more
about the level of C++ skills required. I don't use C++ in my research, we
use  C/Fortran/Matlab, and I have no experience in developing code in the
language. I have taught myself a little of the basics, i.e. the ideas of
classes, objects, and templates and why to use them, but never used them in
a large project beyond simple little programs written for books (the
specific one I have is solving PDEs in C++ from SIAM). I was hoping to use
GSoC this summer to gain experience in the language on a more serious
project because I feel like I learn best working on something serious.

Some other relevant background is that I do have experience developing
parallel code for HPC although it is limited to just MPI. I do have code
(fortran) that has run on the local supercomputing cluster. I also really
like numerical linear algebra and just took an advanced topics course on
numerical linear algebra that covered multigrid (geometric and algebraic),
GMRES, CG so I find that stuff cool. I also have a lot of experience
solving numerical PDEs and I familiar with the common techniques  (FD,FV,
FEM), although in my research we use spectral methods. So if there are any
other potential ideas that require a greater math background, I am very
open to them.

So as I said, I want to use this GSoC project to bring my C++ skills up to
a higher level and hopefully my lack of development experience in C++ isn't
too much of a hindrance.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers,

 ~ Luke