[Dune-devel] Building dune-common with gcc-4.8 fails

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 3 10:41:18 CEST 2015

Hi Christoph,

Am 01.07.2015 um 23:15 schrieb Christoph GrĂ¼ninger:
> Hi Carsten,
> this new stack protection flag is supported in GCC 4.9 and not
> in GCC 4.8. But Ubuntu 15.04 has GCC 4.9 as their default compiler.
> So installing an older compiler is not such a common case - at least it
> won't bite Joe Average-Dune-user.

but it will bite Joe Average-Dune-Developer. Since we always
have long discussions about the importance of supporting older
compilers he will surely test the release with as much supported
compilers as possible, which at least covers those that are
only an apt-get (yum, ... whatever) away. ;-)

But he may be lucky and his distribution does not pass this
flag to mpicc by default.

Since the

  try build -> patch cache -> build again -> next module

loop is a no-go when testing many (> 2) configurations and
FindMPI does not respect a pre-populated cache, I patched
DuneMPI.cmake to overwrite those flags. But I'm not very
happy with using a local patch to test the release.
(Which does not mean that anyone is to blame for this.)

Best,
Carsten