[Dune-devel] Stable orthonormalisation in Dune

Jonathan Youett youett at mi.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 10 10:32:29 CET 2016

Dear dune-worshippers,

I currently need a numerically stable method to orthonormalise a bunch
of vectors v_i as the Gram-Schmidt method is not doing too well in my case.
Now, I thought about writing some code that is assembling the
correlation matrix (v_i,v_j), computing the eigenvectors using the
available LaPack (or ArPack++) methods from dune-common(istl), and
setting up the orthonormal system.

Now my questions are:
1. Is there perhaps already code in DUNE that is doing this?
2. Is there interest for a stable orthonormalisation procedure like this
to end up in dune-common or dune-istl? If yes, I would volunteer to
implement whatever method is prefered.

Best
Jonny