[Dune-devel] Confused about gitlab workings

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Feb 28 18:51:15 CET 2016

Hi Markus,

> Am 26.02.2016 um 21:55 schrieb Markus Blatt <markus at dr-blatt.de>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am a bit confused about the gitlab workflow. Maybe someone can shed
> some light on this:
>
> Yesterday I push a branch (matrix-loadbalance-to-more) to my fork of
> dune-istl at https://gitlab.dune-project.org/markus.blatt/dune-istl/
> and created a merge request. After that was merged, I wanted to delete
> my local branch after pull from origin, but to no avail:
>
> git branch -d matrix-loadbalance-to-more
> error: Der Branch 'matrix-loadbalance-to-more' ist nicht vollständig
> zusammengeführt.
> Wenn Sie sicher sind diesen Branch zu entfernen, führen Sie 'git
> branch -D matrix-loadbalance-to-more' aus.

What is origin in your case? The official repository or your fork? The merge
commit won’t be automatically propagated to your fork, so if you only pulled
from the fork, you didn’t download the merge commit into your local repo.
That’s the only reason I can come up with for this behavior...

> And indeed, the hashes of the commit in master are different from the
> ones in my branch. Is that expected? I never had problems like this on
> github.
>
> I wanted to check whether the hashes of my branch in the gitlab ui
> have the sane hashes, but the branch seems to have been deleted
> automatically with the merge. Is that a feature?

Yes, when you merge a merge request, there is a checkbox that allows you
to delete the merge request. I ticked that because I assumed that the feature
branch was in the main repo (that’s how most people with commit rights to the
core repositories tend to create their merge requests). Sorry for deleting the
branch in your repository, I’m surprised that works (it shouldn’t IMO).

Steffen