[Dune-devel] Dune on MacOS

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Wed Jul 7 20:25:30 CEST 2021

Hi everyone,

Recently, some of my colleagues tried to install Dune (core modules +
some extensions) on their Mac. They used the default compiler on a MacOS
 >= 10.13 and got several compiler errors, e.g. related to missing
std::optional.

Can anyone share their experience with MacOS since I myself do not own
any of these systems, i.e.

- Which MacOS is supported with its default software?
- Is there a minimal supported version for Apple-clang?
- Are there any other restrictions on a standard MacOS setup?
- What about external dependencies, like MPI, BLAS, LAPACK or
SuiteSparse? Are they available via package managers?
- Is it possible to replace the default apple compiler easily by
something else?

Maybe can we add some description on the webpage? If it is there, please
send me the link, I might have missed it. Note, the "Compilers" page
seems to be outdated.

Best regards,
Simon

--