[dune-fem] Issues with the compilation of dune-fem-howto

Terschanski, Benjamin terschanski at mbd.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Apr 27 16:55:20 CEST 2022

Dear Dune Team,

after some painful experiences with the dune compilation process I finally managed to compile dune from source on my debian machine and run an empty test module as suggested by the getting-started docs. This encouraged me to delve into the howtos, but I find it impossible to get the most recent version of dune-fem-howto to compile on my Debian machine.

I am on the most recent available branch releases/2.7 which seems to lag behind the official dune release a bit. I tried to compile the module by calling

/dune-common/bin/dune-control --module=dune-fem-howto all

but I get the following CMake errors:

CMake Error at example-odesolver/source/CMakeLists.txt:4 (target_link_libraries):
 The keyword signature for target_link_libraries has already been used with
 the target "example-odesolver".  All uses of target_link_libraries with a
 target must be either all-keyword or all-plain.

 The uses of the keyword signature are here:

  * /home/benjamin/Software/dune/dune-common/cmake/modules/AddMPIFlags.cmake:35 (target_link_libraries)

I tried to fix it by adding the PRIVATE attribute in the corresponding CMakeLists file (without even knowing what Im doing) and it continues the build only to fail with a bunch of errors that look like it can't find the proper dune headers from other modules.
I also tried running the install script in dune-fem-howto/scripts but that seems to get confused with the most recent dune update, for example dune-alugrid doesn't compile when I set the install script version to 2.7 (corresponding to the latest fem-howto version).

All other dune modules are freshly cloned from git. Can you reproduce the error with a fresh dune download and maybe point me to a solution? Any help is appreciated.

Benjamin Terschanski
PhD Student

MBD - Model-based Development in Computational Engineering
RWTH Aachen University
Schinkelstr. 2a, Room 203
52062 Aachen