[dune-functions] dune-functions developer meeting?

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Fri Aug 13 15:29:31 CEST 2021

Hi everybody,

when I look into the dune-function repository Merge requests and issue
list, I find lots of interesting approaches that are started but never
finished. Sometimes it looks promising, but no-one pushes this to a
final state. Maybe we could have a meeting after the summer to discuss
some points in person, to cleanup the list of proposals and issues,
maybe also define a better way how to work together/interact/review
proposals. A quick summary:

- Dynamic Order bases (!101: Dynamic order DG basis, !309: Lobatto shape
functions)
- Some proposals for new bases (!101, !309, !305: refined-LagrangeBasis
as alternative to P2 basis, !285: dynamic power node, scalar basis, ...)
- There are some ideas/discussions to simplify/restructure the pre-basis

     * blocking structure: #54, #53, (!216, !217), !239
     * adaptivity: !101, !128, !248, #51, #56, #62
     * general cleanup/simplification/restructuring: !308, !217, !216,
#31, #37, #44, #46, #53

- What about Parallel bases? Using global index sets from dune-grid, or
global idsets for identifying unique orientation of edges. Global
identification of DOFs? What about an idset similar to the grid idset
but for basis functions?
- Additive composition of bases?
- Dynamic nodes are recently added to dune-typetree: What needs to be
done to make this work with dune-functions? (!285) Some
requirements/guanrantees might have changed.
- There are some topics asked for for years, like derivatives in
discrete global basis functions. (#25, #40, !57, !188) There are some
initial proposals. Why is this never included? What is missing?

What about an online meeting at the beginning of October. Maybe we can
also form some small groups locally in presence (e.g. in Dresden,
Berlin) and make a hybrid meeting. What do you think?

Best regards,
Simon

--
Dr. Simon Praetorius