[Dune] Bemerkung Gitter und Gitterhierarchie.

Peter Bastian Peter.Bastian at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Jun 21 20:11:04 CEST 2007

Robert Kloefkorn schrieb:
> Hi GitterPapier Schreiber,
>
>> An der Stelle möchte ich auch noch mal darauf
>> hinweisen, daß wir die Begriffe 'Grid' und 'Grid hierarchy' recht
>> streng voneinander trennen sollten, denn sonst gibt es Verwirrung.
I support this. I probably was sloppy on this.

> Ich denke ich kann an dieser Stelle für FR und Münster reden.
> Wie in der ursprünglichen Definition ist ein Gitter eine Menge von
> Entitäten.

I see this like Robert and Mario. In DUNE a grid is a container of
entities with certain relations. In Olivers words it is always a grid
hierarchy, or I would say a hierarchical grid. I think this is also
clear after one has read the paper. But Oliver has a point if many
people do not anticipate a hierarchical structure if the read the word
"grid". But for those it is sufficient to write a sentence in the
introduction (and I think it says somewhere that grids in Dune are
always understood to be hierarchical).

> Das Gitter ist also nicht eine Hierarchie von Gittern, sondern das
> Gitter ist das Gitter, welches gegebenenfalls eine hierachische Struktur
> besitzt.
As I said grid hierarchy vs. hierarchical grid.

Robert wrote:
> You need the hierarchic structure every time. For example during
> Adaptation Data prolongation and restriction can be done much easier and
> more efficient, when using the HierarchicIterator instead of level wise
> adjusting the data.

I object. This is an implementation detail and it is only true for cell
centered data. I think it is different for P_1 (conforming) elements.

Best,

-- Peter
Peter Bastian
Institut für Parallele und Verteilte Systeme
Abteilung Simulation großer Systeme
Universität Stuttgart
Universitätsstraße 38
D-70569 Stuttgart