[Dune] GridFactory and parallel grids (and boundary adaptation)

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Wed Feb 11 12:52:20 CET 2015

Am Tue, 10. Feb 2015, 19:02:12 +0100 schrieb Jö Fahlke:
> With regard to loading a parallel grid with the GridFactory, the current
> informal standard seems to be inserting on rank 0 only, inserting nothing on
> the other ranks, and following that by a loadBalance().  I know that worked
> with the old ALUGrid, and apparently UG supports that too[1].  Is that still
> the way to go with dune-alugrid or are there better ways (so long as you want
> to keep using the GridFactory?).

As Robert pointed out to me, there is indeed a better way in ALUGrid, see[1]:
insert each vertex on each rank it is needed with a globally unique
identifier, and optionally identify process and domain boundaries.

[1] http://arxiv.org/abs/1407.6954, page 11-12

There is no mention about GmshReader however.  I am pretty certain that there
is no specialization of the GmshReader that takes advantage of the parallel
GridFactory, though it should be pretty straight-forward to add one (GSoC
anyone?).  Still the method mentioned above should work as long as the grid
data fits into rank 0's memory.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is also no mention about parallel boundary adaptation, so I'd still be
interested if there is some ALUGrid-specific way to do that.

Regards,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster

This message is protected by DoubleROT13 encryption
Attempting to decode it violates the DMCA/WIPO acts