[Dune-devel] [Dune-Commit] dune-web r1038 - external_libraries

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Fri Jul 20 14:06:59 CEST 2012

Am Fri, 20. Jul 2012, 10:38:15 +0200 schrieb Martin Nolte:
> I'm not sure that this makes any sense. In my opinion, the choice of
> compiler arguments should be up to the user (maybe he wants to
> select the next upcoming standard).

I do not see '-std=c++0x' as merely a compiler argument like '-O3' or '-Wall',
since it fundamentally changes the language the compiler accepts, i.e. 'g++'
is a compiler for the C++03 language, while 'g++ -std=c++0x' is a (possibly
incomplete) compiler for the C++11 language.

> We could also ask the question the other way round: Can we convince
> the DUNE developers not to magically add -std=c++0x to the compiler
> flags but leave this "choice" to the user (of course, there won't be
> much of a choice in the long run)? In my opintion, DUNE violates the
> principle of least surprise and not ALUGrid.

I agree.  Any user who wants to can use the standard way of saying "configure
CXX='g++ -std=c++0x'" to tell configure to use a different compiler.
Otherwise, we should use our best estimate of the system's default compiler.
We cannot determine the compilers that have been used to compile our dependent
libraries[1], but unless anyone tells us otherwise, the systems default
compiler is a reasonable guess.

Regards,
Jö.

[1] We would need to know in dune-common that the user later want to use
    dune-grid, and that dune-grid depends on ALUGrid, and *then* find a way to
    figure out which compiler ALUGrid was compiled with just to determine the
    compiler for dune-common.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing,
Heidelberg University, Im Neuenheimer Feld 368, D-69120 Heidelberg

Spaß mit I18N.  Hier StumpWM/clisp:
WARNUNG: DEFUN/DEFMACRO(GET-WM-CLASS): #<PACKAGE XLIB> ist abgeschlossen.
         Das Schloss umgehen und weitermachen.