[Dune-devel] TikZ figures for dune-grid-howto

Carsten Gräser graeser at math.fu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 25 11:05:19 CEST 2012

Am 25.10.2012 10:02, schrieb Oliver Sander:
> Hi,
> I think we can all agree that the xfig file format is very outdated and
> should be replaced by something else.  That "something else" is likely
> to be svg.
> As for psfrag: I always liked psfrag, but I agree that people want to use
> pdflatex directly.  Personally I do the following nowadays: Inkscape lets
Just a small note: Modern tex-Distributions do in general use pdftex
even for the dvi output. Just try 'latex --version'. So you will benefit
from the advanced type setting features of pdftex even if you call latex.

Furthermore you can even use pstricks when using the pdf-output.
To do this one has to use the package auto-pst-pdf that does
eps-pdf conversion of figures automatically. In order to allow
the package to do this you have to pass --shell-escape to pdflatex.
As far as I know this is done automatically in texlive-2010 and newer.

So this essentially boils down to the question if you like xfig
or not.

> you render LaTeX formulas directly (Erweiterungen->Rendern-LaTeX-Formel).
> The formula becomes part of the drawing, it looks beautiful.  The only
> catch is that you need to be careful to get the font sizes right.
> Would that be satisfying to everyone?
Will this do the rendering by a separate tex call before hand?
IMHO letting one tex call do all the rendering is in principle
much nicer since you don't have to take care about sizes, extra
packages, macros,...

Best,
Carsten