[Dune-devel] Making DUNE closed source

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Mon Apr 1 11:11:20 CEST 2013

Hi fellow developers,

I have just received an intriguing offer a company, that is famous for
their user-friendly operating system and agressive marketing
strategy. Currently I am not allowed to give you it's name. During the
last month they researched and tried DUNE. Summarizing their feedback
in three words:

They love DUNE.

And would like to distribute it with their well known HPC server to
finally conquer the academic world of Supercomputing. Unfortunately,
they are not very fond of Open Source regarding Total Cost of
Ownership, etc. Therefore they would need us to close the source from
now on. They understand that the development of DUNE was a big effort
and want renumerate each contributor for his/her effort on the DUNE
core modules in the following way:

- For each year a person was a core developer (with at least one patch) he/she
  receives a bonus of 30000 USD.
- Furthermore for each code or comment line changed or added in a
  contributed patch the contributor and the organization, he/she was
  employed at that time, both receive 6500 USD.

In exchange, the company receives the perpetual, exclusive right to
distribute DUNE as closed source in binary form with their products.

Please let me know (e.g. by private mail, if you prefer) what you
think about this offer. Of course this means that _all_ contributor
have to agree on this. The company is aware of this fact and therefore
their might be room for bargaining based on this offer. Experienced
developers might even be provided with individual  contracts as
consultants for the further closed source development effort.

Cheers,

Markus
--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658