[Dune-devel] [GSoC 2013] Project 1

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Thu Apr 18 15:51:43 CEST 2013

Hi Cristian,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 11:43:31PM +0300, Cristian Stoica wrote:
> My name is Cristi Stoica, and I would be interested to work on Project 1:
> Add Thread Support to Parallel Index Sets, in this year's GSoC.
>
> I am currently a first year's Master student at the Computer Science
> Faculty at the Politehnica University in Bucharest ( I have graduated
> Computer Science last year at the same university). I have also
> participated last year in the GSoC program.
>
> Related to this particular project, I have had practical experience with
> parallel and distributed algorithms in various university projects (Map
> Reduce, image processing, using openmpi, pragma omp, phtreads - in C, and
> other mechanisms in Java or Python for parallel algorithms) and I am also
> passionate about C++. I have solid C and C++ knowledge but not much
> experience with modern C++ coding, especially static polymorphism with
> templates, but I would be very interested to learn this good coding
> practices. I think that I have the necessary practical experience and
> knowledge to work on this project.

That sounds like a nice background for solving this project. Learning
new things like modern C++ is never a mistake.

> I have built the sources and read the document which explains the local and
> remote Indexes for distributing the data to multiple processes. I
> understood the general idea of the algorithm, but I still have a lot of
> code to parse to get a bigger picture.

I think reading the relevant documentation and papers should give you
an overview about how the index sets work. Then it is your task to
think about how one can achieve this using threads, etc.

> Do you have any suggestion for me on what I should do to apply successfully
> for this project? Should I randomly pick a bug from the bug tracker or
> maybe implement a simple dune module with some parallel calculations, maybe
> using some dune data structures?

Convince us that you can do the job. Having a simple dune module that
is relevant to the project sounds like a good idea. Bugfixing is
always appreciated, too.

Apart from that, take a look at the application template on
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/dune to see
what information you should provide when applying.

Cheers,

Markus