[Dune-devel] [GSoC] Keep documentation up to date

Miha Čančula miha at noughmad.eu
Thu Aug 29 10:54:22 CEST 2013

Yes, I probably should update it, now that the behavior is more or less
fixed.

Unfortunately, I've been a little stuck on the buildsystem integration.
This is necessary for getting the compiler and compile flags, and it's also
more user-friendly. I imagined it like this:
1.) At configure-time, a configuration file (currently named "<name>.ini",
can be changed if needed) is generated for each program you want to measure
2.) Additionally, a make target ("perftest_<name>") is created, so you can
just call "make perftest_myprogram"
3.) There is another target, called just "perftest", which runs all the
perftest_* targets it can find

Such a system seems quite reasonable for me, because most of the time the
user will just call "make perftest" and be done with it. I implemented the
exact same system in CMake. However, when I try to do the same thing using
autotools, I can't seem to figure out how to do the first step. I have a
template (perftest.ini.in), which I would like to replicate multiple times
using ac_config_file(), but each time with different variables. Calling
ac_config_file() and ac_output() multiple times in various combination
doesn't work, it always uses the last values. You probably have more
experience with autotools, is there an easier way to do it?

If there isn't, I can of course write another script (perhaps in Python)
that generates the configuration file, but that would introduce even more
complexity.

I had creating a single overview HTML file on the agenda for this week, and
I think this would be easier, but I wanted to finish the buildsystem
integration first. Due to the problems I think I'll do the overview first,
update the documentation, and then try the buildsystem again.