[Dune-devel] Testing policy

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jul 3 07:12:19 CEST 2013

Hi Dune developers,
I dislike the state of our tests, too many are known to fail. Maybe
that's ok, depending on the purpose of our tests.

I use the check and headercheck to be sure not breaking other people's
code. If both run through, I am quite confident. It is also handy to let
users with troubles run some tests to see whether their problem comes
from Dune or from their code. And to check compiler compatibility, it's
useful, too. Thus, I would prefer to have passing tests and failing
cases commented out.

I am under the impression that not everybody feels as I do. Some tests
were added in a failing state and are still failing. To me it would be
better to have Flysprays task instead.

I don't want to blame anybody but discuss this issue and maybe comment
failing test out afterwards.

Some tests which should currently fail:
dune-common: diagonal matrix
dune-grid: alberta grid refine, mcmg mapper stuff
dune-localfunctions: localfe for pyramids and Raviart-Thomas simplices

The Romans didn't find algebra very challenging,
because X was always 10.