[Dune-devel] GSoc update

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Mon Jul 15 19:08:51 CEST 2013

Hi Miha

> I believe now is the time when I should start thinking about the
> visualizations. I think HTML pages generated from the database are the
> simplest options (i.e. require the least dependencies for the users),
> rather than using something like Gnuplot or even Excel. I remember you said
> you have a recommendation for a Javascript library for generating the
> charts, but did not remember which one it was. I would like to use
> Highcharts, mostly because the graphs look very nice (
> http://www.highcharts.com/demo/). They are, however, not open source, but
> covered by a Creative Commons Non-Commercial license. I suppose DUNE is
> non-commercial, so there wouldn't by any problems, but I would rather check
> with you. Different libraries use different data formats, which is why I
> would like to know which one to use as soon as possible.

I played a little with DyGraphs (dygraphs.com) which is licensed under
MIT License.

It gave quite nice results and was able to read csv data either from
an other source, or from within the html file (which is the only
option working for local use)

What I like with highcharts is the annotation, which might come handy
when trying to plot the revision number with the data. Something
similar should be possible with dygraph as well, but I never took the
time to actually write it myself.

Cheers
Christian

PS: We decided to take future discussions to the dune-devel
list... thus I added them in the TO