[Dune-devel] DUNE migrates to Git

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri May 3 18:55:55 CEST 2013

Dear Dune users and developers,

it has been a long time coming, but now it really happens: As decided on last year's developer
meeting, DUNE will abandon SVN and move to Git.

The change will happen over the coming weekend - hopefully we will have all of the history
converted and the new Git repositories running by tomorrow evening (May 4th).

In order to convert all of the old data, we will have to disable write access to the SVN repositories
tomorrow morning. This really only concerns the main developers at the moment, as we will keep
the SVN repositories available read-only for now, so you can still check out the current trunk and any
branches, run diffs etc.

Please note that the SVN repositories will not be updated with future commits to the Git repositories,
though!

As part of the repository conversion, we will also clean up whitespace problems (indentation, trailing
whitespace, indentation with tabs) in all historical file revisions, so everyone who has local changes
against the official modules (either as simple patches or in git-svn) should prepare for some of those
patches to break. As quite a number of people have been using git-svn to access the old repositories,
we will also publish some notes on how to get those local changes from your local git-svn repository
to your new and shiny pure Git repository.

We will also update our website with instructions on how to access and browse the new repositories
and with some pointers towards using Git for the developers.

Hopefully, the next mail will be the official announcement after the whole thing has gone through
successfully!

Have a nice weekend everybody,

Steffen

Steffen Müthing
Universität Stuttgart
Institut für Parallele und Verteilte Systeme
Universitätsstr. 38
70569 Stuttgart
Tel: +49 711 685 88429
Fax: +49 711 685 88340