[Dune-devel] Semantics of {ghost,overlap}Size

Bernd Flemisch bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Nov 8 09:10:30 CET 2013

Dear all,

since my name was mentioned, I would like to show my sincere interest in
participating in such a smaller group. Although most interface decisions
that I was part of proved to be shortsighted, I will do my best to give
at least a good impression...

Kind regards
Bernd

On 11/07/2013 08:55 PM, Martin Nolte wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> to be honest, I am not sure how much can be achieved with a single
> meeting.
>
> The idea originated from the observation that the topic "parallelism"
> was carefully avoided on the last "big" developer meetings. It was my
> impression that on the one hand "only" around 50% of the core
> developers are interested in this feature, while on the other hand
> there are some extremely interested users (e.g., Bernd who has
> provided substantial contributions to parallel UG).
>
> I think such a smaller group focussing entirely on this topic might
> achieve more progress. It goes without saying that the "real
> decisions" must be made by a formal vote of all core developers.
>
> If there is enough interest in such a meeting, I suggest to set up a
> page on the user wiki, so that we can collect the topics we're
> interested in. We then might be able to judge the size of this thing.
> We can always shorten the list, if it becomes too large. Given
> interest, I would be prepared to organize such a meeting in (or near)
> Freiburg.
>
> Best,
>
> Martin
>

> On 11/07/2013 08:22 PM, Peter Bastian wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> clearly this has not been completely thought to the end once upon atime.
>>
>> I see that you need a specification of overlap for codim 0 and codim
>> dim.
>>
>> Codim dim (vertices) is needed for standard overlapping DD methods.
>> I would define two vertices as connected if they are subentites of a
>> common
>> codim 0 entity. With that Graph defined the distance ist clear.
>> Then of course the data decomposition is still with respect to codim 0
>> entites
>>
>> likewise two codim 0 entites are connected if they share an
>> intersection.
>>
>> I am not sure whether the "overlap size" has any real application. In
>> the numerical
>> methods it is usually not needed.
>>
>> I am in favor of a meeting. Do you think about small cosmetic changes
>> or something
>> bigger? If it is bigger then we should also consider extensions due
>> to hybrid
>> parallelism, i.e. multithreading.
>>

>> -- Peter

>> Peter Bastian,
>> IWR, Universität Heidelberg,
>> INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg
>>
>>> Am 07.11.2013 um 16:10 schrieb Martin Nolte
>>> <nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> actually, I wonder whether anybody uses these methods at all (except
>>> for checking the return value for 0).
>>>
>>> Otherwise, I totally agree with Markus that semantics of the methods
>>> are completely unclear:
>>> - They are not mentioned in the papers on dune-grid.
>>> - The documentation of the interface does not give a definition
>>>   (what is the size of a "region"? Why is this integral?).
> [...]

     !!!! CMWR 2014: 10th - 13th June 2014 in Stuttgart !!!!
                   Please visit www.cmwr14.de

Bernd Flemisch                         phone: +49 711 685 69162
IWS, Universität Stuttgart             fax:   +49 711 685 60430
Pfaffenwaldring 61            email: bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
D-70569 Stuttgart            url: www.hydrosys.uni-stuttgart.de