[Dune-devel] New GridView stuff fails test-geogrid

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Nov 18 10:09:54 CET 2013

Hi Oli,

well, then we must have misunderstood each other. Somehow I understood that
the Dune interface is supposed to be slim. In other words: We do not duplicate
interfaces. Therefore, it was clear to me (~5 years ago) that at some point,
one of the two interfaces has to disappear. Moreover, it is my impression that
most user codes have successfully migrated to the grid views. It is only
consequent to take the grid implementations to this level, too, by removing
the old interfaces. We already deprecated Entity::i*begin / i*end and decided
to deprecate Grid::lbegin/lend/leafbegin/leafend. Reading the above again, I
am a little surprised at you statement.

As a side note: The first step to implementing the grid views is just copying
the default grid views and renaming them. Once you have done this, you can
start to clean up the grid code by migrating the native implementations to the
grid views. If the grid is well-implemented, it should just be a matter of a
few hours. But obviously I am the only one who did bother until now.

Anyway, I did not suggest do remove the default implementation. I merely
suggested to remove grid view construction methods leafGridView and
levelGridView (not their deprecated counterparts - they belong on a default
implementation) from the GridDefaultImplementation. It think the code
duplication of these small methods is bearable and FS#1390 shows that they can
do harm. The reason is that the default implementation might be plain wrong,
if the grid does not use the default view implementations, in which case they
may never be called. For me, this violates the principle of least surprise.

I hope this lengthy letter clarifies my point of view a little. Of course, my
personal views are not binding at all.

Best,

Martin

PS: Any offense that could be taken is unintended and just expresses my
surprise about the current situation.