[Dune-devel] [Dune core modules] Doodle: Should jacobianTransposed & Co return a reference or not?

Carsten Gräser graeser at math.fu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 8 10:42:40 CEST 2013

Hi Martin,

Am 08.10.2013 09:46, schrieb Martin Nolte:
> Hi Oli,
>
> there is your FlySpray task. From the comments I got the same feeling as
> Christoph: We are waiting for votes. If discussion on the FlySpray is
> still insufficient, we might want to get it started. Personally, I'd
> like this issue settled as soon as possible.
>
> Whether this will already be included in the release is a different
> story. However, YaspGrid has already been changed to a non-FieldMatrix
> return type (that does not cast into FieldMatrix &), so I guess we
> should go the whole way.
>
> Best,
>
> Martin
>
> PS: How did we overlook this issue on the meeting? It seems several
> people are interested.
we did not. When we decided that the return type can be different
from FieldMatrix we also decided that it should be a copy. (See
last bullet item of day 1.) So there's no need for further votes.

Best,
Carsten

> On 10/08/2013 09:39 AM, Oliver Sander wrote:
>> Is there a systematic discussion of the pros and cons somewhere?
>> I don't want to vote on this without some information on the
>> consequences.
>> --
>> Oliver
>>
>> Am 08.10.2013 09:31, schrieb dune.project at uni-muenster.de:
>>>
>>> http://users.dune-project.org/doodles/5
>>> Martin Nolte
>>>
>>> See FS#1174.
>>>
>>> If we want to return by value, I directly added an option to return a
>>> copy constructable but not copy assignable value, allowing grid
>>> implementations to actually return a reference (typedef FieldMatrix
>>> &JacobianTransposed).
>>>

>>> {{author}} requests that you answer this doodle.

Dr. Carsten Gräser       | phone: +49-30 / 838-75349
Freie Universität Berlin | fax  : +49-30 / 838-54977
Institut für Mathematik  | email: graeser at math.fu-berlin.de
Arnimallee 6             |
14195 Berlin, Germany    | URL  : http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/graeser