[Dune-devel] C++11 compiler support status

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Oct 9 13:37:51 CEST 2013

Hi everybody,

I finally got around to testing the C++11 support of the set of compilers we want to support in the future.

I had to write my own set of tests because the tests from c't magazine failed on newer compilers because
they contained invalid code that got flagged by the newer, stricter versions of GCC and Clang.

I tested for GCC 4.4+, Clang 3.3+ and ICC 13.1.2. You can find the results here:

http://users.dune-project.org/projects/main-wiki/wiki/C++11_feature_support_matrix

The good news is that pretty much everything we agreed on just works - the only exception is nullptr / nullptr_t,
which is broken on GCC 4.4, GCC 4.5 and ICC.

One thing that I am still worried about, though, is the number of "partial support" items in icpc 13 (the C++ compiler of ICC 13),
see http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/c0x-features-supported-by-intel-c-compiler. Since the obvious tests don't fail for those
items, we might run into subtle bugs in those areas.

As the compatibility list of ICC 13 Service Pack 1, which contains icpc 14, looks much better, I would suggest settling
on ICC 13 SP1 as the minimum supported version instead of ICC 13. Are there any important reasons not to do so?
Otherwise I would create a poll on the user wiki….

Best,
Steffen