[Dune-devel] [GSoC] Keep documentation up to date

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Thu Sep 12 10:48:22 CEST 2013

Hi Miha,

> While I know the format used for exchanging data, I would like to know what
> the server part will run on. As I understand it in autobuild, data is sent
> in a zipped file through ssh, and displayed using a CGI module in Perl.

Kind of... currently an ssh-connection is invoked inside the
client script. The client script send all data through the ssh pipe in
one big tar archive. Compression is done on the ssh level.

> Now, if we want to allow users people to upload data, ssh is probably not a
> good option, and I would rather with a POST receiver on the server instead.
> This can be done quite easily in Python. The data can then be in a text
> file format, or even zipped, so we can upload many results at once. We
> could add HTTP authentication if you don't think everyone should be allowed
> to publish results before registering.

Currently we want to collect data only from "approved" sources. Up to
now this was a set of clients we setup for automated tests.

> So, I would make the server part a single CGI module in python, probably
> just using the 'cgi' package and a template engine rather than a full web
> framework. Relying on POST commands instead of ssh upload would probably
> make listening for changes easier, but I would like to know if you want
> proper authentication or not.

proper authentication is a hard requirement. Still a http upload is a
nice plus.