[Dune-devel] [GSoC] Dune-perftest report

Miha Čančula miha at noughmad.eu
Mon Sep 16 08:42:10 CEST 2013

In the last week, I finished the local part of the project and started
working on a central server, similar to how dune-autobuild works.

On the local side, I added another generated HTML file that shows the last
results of each test. There is also easy navigation between different tests
and different modes (compile, run, both) within each test. I added a new
'upload' module that sends data (in the form of plain text files) to the
server. All the code is documented, and there is some user documentation
generated with Doxygen.

On the server side, I started with receiving files, which is now done using
an unprotected HTML upload. Then I added a separate program for processing
the files into a database, which can be called either remotely or from a
cron job. It is separated from the upload, so we can upload files using
some other means, such as ssh. Finally, there is the program to visualize
the data using HTML templates.

The server code is in a separate directory (dune/perftest/server) and can
be just copied into a cgi-bin directory of a web server. I'm using lighttpd
for local testing, but it should work anywhere. The database used is
Postgresql, which I think is used for autobuild as well, so we could use
the same database. The server scripts create their own db table, so there
isn't much setup required, and there is a single file ('common.py') with
database- and server-specific configuration. I'm

Today is suggested pencil down, which I will not be able to meet. However,
I made sure that everything is already documented, and I think there is
enough error checking. So I will focus on the server this week. Considering
other parts already work, the main thing will be visualizations. First, I
will add the same ones we do locally: compile and run results, grouped by
test. I have also started one that shows all the results of a single test
run.

If there is time, I would like to adapt the client to upload using ssh.
This will be very similar to the way autobuild works, so I don't expect
much trouble. However, I don't think I'll be able to test it on the real
server, so I would like some help in this regard. In any case, I will lock
down the current HTTP upload with authentication.

Regards,
Miha