[Dune-devel] StoreGeometryReference

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Feb 14 14:00:38 CET 2014

Hi Oli,

yes, removing GeometryReference break AlbertaGrid (and SPGrid, but who cares).

The GeometryReference class was explicitly introduced (by me) to allow
returning references to geometries actually stored on the grid. For example,
there are only two local geometries for geometryInFather in AlbertaGrid. Why
bother to recompute them every time the user asks for them? Notice that this
does not violate the new lifetime guarantees. The "reference" is valid as long
as the grid exists.

Actually, the idea of the facade options was to avoid this code duplication in
the first place. Since my fellow developers voted for deprecation of the
reference version, I needed a replacement. But I will happily duplicate this
piece of code into every single grid that wants to return a reference to its
local geometries. Originally it was an implementation detail of SPGrid anyway.

As a final comment: Since when do we ask such questions merely three hours
before removing the code?

Best,

Martin