[Dune-devel] [Dune-Commit] [Commit] dune-istl - dd52b1e: [cleanup] Replace dune_static_assert by C++11 static_assert.

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Wed Feb 26 22:41:50 CET 2014

>Depriving our users of the possibility to
>use their
>own fallback implementation will have an impact on the usability of
>officially
>unsupported compilers (icpc, xlc, Visual C++). I do doubt that this is
>a good idea.

Actually I recall a discussion in Aachen, where we decided to keep the imports into the fine namespace.

>Back to the current (unfortunate) situation: The deed is already done
>and the
>effort would be to revert the patches.

As far as I see it, these are two patches, which should be relatively easy to revert. Actually the second change, introducing std::shared_ptr is in my opinion even more dangerous. static_assert can easily be worked around by preprocessor magic... Not so for the second change.

>Furthermore, I am surprised that such commits got into the master
>branch without
>any discussion so far. Not only should this be discussed prior to the
>changes
>(despite an announcement, FS#1435), but I would have expected immediate
>response
>to such a commit. However, the first response took more than 24 hours
>(yes, I
>did not respond either).

I'm not sure in which tardis you are reading the email but in my universe everything happened within a few hours ;-)

PS I vote for reverting the patches.

Ciao Christian