[Dune-devel] Replace Dune C++11 by plain C++11

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Thu Feb 27 10:40:08 CET 2014

Hi Christoph,

first let me express my appreciation for all the cleanup work you have
done during the last time.

> you are right, I should have checked the developer meeting 2013 before I
> made my changes and should have asked before. Sorry for any inconvenience.
> I don't mind to revert these three changes, including Tuesday's one in
> localfunctions. But I would like to discuss our decision from Aachen first.

a) I don't think it is clever to start such a big discussion like this
on the list. I doubt you will get the necessary feedback.

> We decided to support GCC 4.4 but have a contradicting decision
> regarding classes like array, tuple, shared_ptr and so on. Why should we
> gift-wrap all the C++11 candy in a Dune namespace?
>
> Aren't there more pressing issues than converting our current namespace
> wrapping to yet another namespace wrapping? And after 3.0 we'll do that
> again and finally get rid of it?

b) nobody asked for new features, we decided to keep the imports and
drop the backwards compatibility code. The recent changed also
droppped the imports (or at least eliminated their use).

I would also like use all the new and shiny features of C++11, but we
had a consensus and I think we should respect this. We are alsways
free to revert our decisions, but then you should get all (or most)
developers involved in this discussion.

Ciao