[Dune-devel] Setting UMFPack parameters

Oliver Sander sander at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jan 17 15:54:56 CET 2014

Hi Dominic,

> its true that the interface of the UMFPack wrapper doesnt allow
> parameter tweaking. The main problem for me with it has been, that you
> definitely dont want to add methods for ALL umfpack options, as they
> are too many. This would result in an unreadable interface (most users
> wont care for those options anyway). I am surprised by the factor of 6
> you get out of there and that definitely means it should be
> considered.

Yeah, I was surprised by the factor 6, too.  From reading the documentation
I was expecting factor 3 maximum.  No idea why it is a factor 6.
Note that this is about back-substitution only.  It does not change
the factorization speed.

 I see two options:
> - Add methods to the Umfpack class for a subset of options, that we
> consider worthwile
> - add a method
> void setUMFParameter(int Parameter, double value)
> {
>   UMF_Control[Parameter] = value;
> }
> Such method would only be usable by a user that has studied the
> UMFPack Manual. I am in favor of this, as setting those parameters
> doesnt make much sense without being informed about what UMFPack does
> anyway.

I agree.  Such a method has now been added to the class.

Cheers,
Oliver