[Dune-devel] YaspGrid project status update

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jul 9 18:41:20 CEST 2014

Hi Dominic, hi everyone,

Am 09.07.2014 um 15:33 schrieb Dominic Kempf <dominic.r.kempf at gmail.com>:

> Dear Dune community,
>
> I am back at working on YaspGrid and would like to share the current
> project status and plan with you.

First of all, a big thanks for doing all this work, Dominic!

On a technical note, I’ll be sponsoring Dominic’s work here, so you can yell
at me if something breaks after the merge…

> The tensorproduct feature is fully implemented. It will be merged into
> master within the following days if nobody objects. You find the code
> on my branch feature/yaspgrid-tensorproduct (on the dune-project
> server). Some Remarks:
> - Yasp now handles coordinates through a coordinate container
> (technically this is a policy for storing and handling coordinates) -
> which now is its second template parameter. It is defaulted to
> EquidistantCoordinateContainer (see dune/grid/yaspgrid/coordinates.hh)
> which makes this change fully backwards compatible.
> - Tensorproduct grids can be used via the container
> TensorproductCoordinateContainer. A Dune::array<std::vector<ctype>> is
> used for coordinates.
> - The YaspGrid class offers constructors to allow the construction of
> a grid without explicitly constructing the coordinate container.
> - The "backend file" dune/grid/yaspgrid/grids.hh is deleted. Its
> content is instead split into several files: torus.hh contains the
> communication infrastructure, ygrid.hh contains the definition of a
> Ygrid - the cornerstone of yasps implementation of a structured grid.
> ygrid.hh also got a lot of cleanup like the removal of an entire layer
> of dynamic polymorphism and documentation was added.
> - If you ever fancy to do so, you can change Yasps ctype by changing
> the template parameter of the coordinate container.
>
> While this is an important step for YaspGrid, its not the end. As
> talked about on the Dune developer meeting in Aachen, Yasp will get
> entities of all codimensions and communication on these. I will start
> working on that now. Although this will result in a lot more changes,
> we decided to merge the tensorproduct feature now, since its been a
> long waiting period since the first announcement of the feature.
> Additionally, a clean cut will make development easier for the second
> project.
>
> I look forward to all your test reports and feedbacks,
> Dominic

Just a minor point: Shouldn’t the constructors of the TensorProductCoordinateContainer
take const refs instead of objects? It’s probably not a big deal, but it shouldn’t be necessary
to copy all that data around twice…

Steffen