[Dune-devel] [SOCIS 2014]: C++11 threads vs POSIX threads

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Mon Jun 16 11:22:12 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 04:20:03PM +0000, Agnese, Marco wrote:
> I go through the source and the documentation of TinyThread++1.1. We can use C++11 when is supported and include the TinyThread library (which is only 3 files) to have a backwards compatibility.
>
> TinyThread++1.1 does NOT support all the capabilities of C++11 but
> only a subset. We can try to use only the subset of features.

This is the best part about this kind of projects: You learn a lot
about new and important libraries.

Indeed TinyThread looks very intriguing from a first glance. If you
think we can get along with it, that would we very good. If we later
see that something is missing, then we could of course implement the
necessary functionality on top of it.

Having an additional dependency is not a problem as DUNE will work as
before without it.

As I pointed out in my other email, I think that TBB is much to
powerful for our project and not really needed. That does not mean
that you cannot explore it in addition and prove me wrong. Me
knowledge about TBB is from talks a few years ago.

Anyway I would think that we should start designing the implementation
in the next few days. This can be done without settling on a specific
thread implementation and maybe serve well in identifying the
capabilities needed in more detail.

Cheers,

Markus

--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858