[Dune-devel] Cleanup in genericgeometry

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jun 25 08:30:38 CEST 2014

Hi Oli,

I agree that the entire directory should eventually go away. There is really
not much that needs to be kept. Nevertheless, let us start with a small step
towards this ultimate goal and remove the unnecessary files first. As I said,
I will do so as soon as I find the time (unless someone objects).

Best,

Martin

On 06/25/2014 07:07 AM, Oliver Sander wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> I think the 'problem' with those now unnecessary files was that few people were
> aware that they were only needed for BasicGeometry.  Therefore the misunderstanding.
> I agree with you/Christian/Christoph in that I consider those files internal,
> and I propose to get rid of them without deprecation period.
> Actually, my ultimate goal is to get rid of the genericgeometry folder.  In my opinion,
> the code that is still useful in there is better placed in something like dune/geometry/common.
> Best,
> Oliver
>
> Am 24.06.2014 18:06, schrieb Martin Nolte:
>> Hi Oli, hi all,
>>
>> actually I meant all these now unnecessary files when I spoke about cleaning up. To be honest, I interpreted Christoph's "already done" as "these files are already gone". Maybe a misunderstanding on
>> my side.
>>
>> Also, I would like a "go" (or a how to proceed) beforehand, because quite a lot of files can actually go away - and nobody is perfect ;-). In this case, I'd like make a clean cut instead of tediously
>> deprecating every unnecessary piece of code.
>>
>> Any objections? Otherwise I would simply do this as soon as I find the time (maybe some time next week).
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On 06/24/2014 04:24 PM, Oliver Sander wrote:
>>> Hi Martin, hi all,
>>> we recently removed the BasicGeometry class from dune-geometry.  Now, in the
>>> directory dune/geometry/genericgeometry there are quite a number of files who
>>> seem to have existed mainly to provide infrastructure for BasicGeometry.
>>> Files like
>>>
>>> hybridmapping.hh
>>> cornermapping.hh
>>> cachedmapping.hh