[Dune-devel] Alberta-3.0.0 has just been released

Claus-Justus Heine Claus-Justus.Heine at ians.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Mar 13 21:03:39 CET 2014

On 13.03.2014 20:23, Oliver Sander wrote:
> Am 13.03.2014 20:19, schrieb Christian Engwer:
>> Dear Claus-Justus
>>
>>> FYI, I have just "released"
>>>
>>> alberta-3.0.0
>>
>> this is great news. Congratulations :-)
>
> +1
>
> And thanks to Markus for volunteering to help.

I still do not understand what's wrong with Alberta's build system. It's
just plain autoconf. And the build system is somewhat tailored into the
direction of Dune. For my part I do not need such stuff like
"disable-graphics" or "disable-fem-toolbox". So why this volunteering
for "help"? And I am still rather unimpressed by that strange writing
"Whihc means Alberta must be bugfree software *impressing*." My
impression is also that in particular the Dune build-system is not
exceedingly easy to use, and probably not something that I would choose
as a model for my own projects.

Concerning the long delay in saying "this is VX.Y.Z without rcWW":
Alberta has been a one-man-project for quite a long time now. Part of
the recent years were also occupied with a job with exceedingly heavy
teaching load on my side. Also, we are indeed targeting towards Dune,
Dune-Fem to be precise. This also consumes time, Dune is quite flexible,
but not easy to operate; and it is also only a quite recent development
that we get more man-power into the software-engineering part of our
research work. Also, rc99, or rc42 or 3.0.0. So what. If you need a
software package, why don't you simply use it?

Best,

Claus