[Dune-devel] Speed influence of the UG heap

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Mar 26 12:52:01 CET 2014

Hi Oliver,
thanks for sharing your measurements.
Still, I am surprised. From time to time I read in c't (a German
computer magazine) about SmartHeap and how it can impact SPEC
benchmarks. An complete article about SmartHeap was published in issue
no 4/2007. On the website of the vendor [1,2] they claim to be at least
three times faster than the compiler-supplied libraries.

I have never tried it again, nor do I know whether that is a bottle neck
for real world applications. But maybe it's worth a try.

[1] http://www.microquill.com/smartheap/
[2] http://www.xlsoft.com/en/products/microquill/smartheap.html

--
... as Sir Cyril Hinshelwood has observed ...fluid dynamicists
were divided into hydraulic engineers who observed things that