[Dune-devel] This weekend CMake will become default buildsystem

Christoph Grüninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Nov 22 00:19:05 CET 2014

Hi Markus,
thanks for your feedback, but I disagree.

> You are assuming that everybody that uses the master is also
> reading this list. I am unsure whether we can safely assume
> this. Therefore people might get caught off guard.

No, I don't assume this. It was published in the Dune minutes
from 2014, it is part of our Flyspray, I announced it on
dune-devel and will do so on the dune user mailing list and
the
news at our homepage.
If it break for users in Dune-master, so be it, there is a
remaining risk. Once it breaks, hopefully they will check one
of
lists.
Additionally, user always can revert breaking commits. That
should
be enough, I don't think we should treat our users as stupid
and
I will not support the Vollkasskomentalität (being over
protective).

> Then we could do the actual switch shortly before the
> release without bothering to many users by breaking their builds.

Actually, I want to get breaking builds now. I want to get
feedback,
bug reports and issues. Now. Right before the release would
make
Dune 2.4 potentially a bad release and break builds of more
conservative users.

So unless you or someone else veto for further discussions,
I'll
proceed with my announced plan.

Je n'ai rien contre les étrangers, quelques uns de mes
meilleurs amis
sont des étrangers. Mais ces étrangers là ne sont pas de chez
nous!
[Agecanonix, Astérix - Le cadeau de César]