[Dune-devel] This weekend CMake will become default buildsystem

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Nov 22 12:49:55 CET 2014

Am 22.11.2014 um 10:29 schrieb Oliver Sander <sander at igpm.rwth-aachen.de>:

> Am 22.11.2014 um 00:19 schrieb Christoph Grüninger:
>> Hi Markus,
>> thanks for your feedback, but I disagree.
>>
>>> You are assuming that everybody that uses the master is also reading this list. I am unsure whether we can safely assume
>>> this. Therefore people might get caught off guard.
>>
>> No, I don't assume this. It was published in the Dune minutes
>> from 2014, it is part of our Flyspray, I announced it on
>> dune-devel and will do so on the dune user mailing list and the
>> news at our homepage.
>> If it break for users in Dune-master, so be it, there is a
>> remaining risk. Once it breaks, hopefully they will check one of
>> lists.
>> Additionally, user always can revert breaking commits. That should
>> be enough, I don't think we should treat our users as stupid and
>> I will not support the Vollkasskomentalität (being over protective).
>>
>>> Then we could do the actual switch shortly before the release without bothering to many users by breaking their builds.
>>
>> Actually, I want to get breaking builds now. I want to get feedback,
>> bug reports and issues. Now. Right before the release would make
>> Dune 2.4 potentially a bad release and break builds of more
>> conservative users.
>>
>> So unless you or someone else veto for further discussions, I'll
>> proceed with my announced plan.
>>

> I agree with Christoph on this.  There is always a certain risk involved
> with running git master.  If people do that and not follow any of our
> usual communication channels... I'd say tough luck.

Me too. The whole purpose of master ist that it is the *development* branch. Of course we should
try to make sure that master always works, but I thought we all agreed in Berlin that the cmake support
was pretty much done and stable. So we *need* to get it into master and have it run by more people to
find and iron out any remaining bugs.

Steffen