[Dune-devel] Random-Access Iterators

Oliver Sander sander at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Oct 1 12:51:33 CEST 2014

>> - what is the use-case for random access iterators?
>
> One use case is for thread parallel assembly to split the iterator
> range.

That doesn't convince me.  People will want to do thread-parallel assembly
on unstructured grids as well, and we will need to invent something to allow
that.  On the other hand, for thread-parallel assembly you need less that
full random access.

> One other this is
> intuition... why should yaspgrid only allow forward iterators if we
> can compute everything directly in an efficient manner?

Because for the last ten years we have been telling people that forward
iteration is enough, and that you don't actually need random access.