[Dune-devel] [Dune-Commit] [Commit] dune-grid - 545f73a: Start working on a backup restore facility in YaspGrid

Oliver Sander sander at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Oct 2 13:10:48 CEST 2014

Am 02.10.2014 um 13:02 schrieb Dominic Kempf:
> Hey Oliver,
> Yes, I was writing my very own ascii thing. I mad several assumptions when
> thinking about the format:
> 1) All grids to be restored were saved through the same facility. For all
> other uses, one should consider the dgfparser.
> 2) The amount of data to be stored is rather small (even for tensorproduct
> grids)
> 3) The output should be readable by the human eye.
> With these in mind, I decided, that a self-defined self-explanatory ascii
> format will be most the most efficient (in the sense of coding time) way to
> achieve it. If you provide good reasons for a more standard format, I could
> reconsider though.

Hi Dominic,
I have no compelling reason for your use case, I am simply not a fan of reinventing
yet another file format.  Earlier this week I wrote VTK file reading for an application
of mine, and that was simple and pretty using tinyxml2.
If you think that "for all other uses, one should consider the dgfparser",
how about using the dgf format for backup/restore right away?