[Dune-devel] [Dune-Commit] [Commit] dune-grid - 545f73a: Start working on a backup restore facility in YaspGrid

Dominic Kempf dominic.r.kempf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 15:52:02 CEST 2014

Dear all,
when I implemented the facility I didnt have any higher goal in mind than
making a currently unavailable feature available within a day or two. So my
implementation is simple and straight-forward. What you, Oli and Martin,
are aiming for are higher goals, that seem out of scope for me.
- Concerning VTK, it seems to me that such functionality is definitely to
be discussed at a higher level. The reason "this way I can look at my
backup in paraview" isnt worth the effort IMO. Using VTKWriter with a
trivial solution (or allowing it to be called without solution) would do
that very same trick. Do you often do that?
- Concerning dgf I have a conflict of interest, to be honest. Nobody here
in Heidelberg uses DGF, so I cannot really put much work into that.  And
having dgf for equidistant grids and a custom format for tensorproduct
grids doesnt seem like a solution either.
If you insist, that those alternatives should be considered before having a
BRF in master (and 2.4 resp.), I can revert it, but I would find it a
rather strange decision.

Have a nice long weekend,
Dominic