[Dune-devel] How should patches be submitted?

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Oct 6 18:48:20 CEST 2014

Hi Ansgar,
that depends on the nature of your patch.
- for small patches like typos or very local changes, a "git
format-patch -k" attached to the a mailing list email is the easiest way
- if the changes need discussion and it is not a fire-and-forget patch,
it is good to attach it to the according flyspray task. Then it will not
get lost.
- for major reworks with several commits, a feature branch would be
best. If you lack commit rights, GitHub et al. sounds good to me. If
possible, rebase your branch before you publish it and ask for integration.

> I think it would also be nice if the preferred way to submit patches
> could be documented somewhere on the web site.

Well, there is a Git best practices wiki page. This should be definitely
include there.

That's no official statement, but my personal preferences.

GDB does hate your application, expresses its contempt through the
design of its command-line interface.   -- Tom Tromey, FOSDEM 2014