[Dune-devel] [Dune] change to inheritance of vtksequencewriter

Andreas Dedner a.s.dedner at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Sep 25 12:02:34 CEST 2014

Sorry, I just realized my last reply was not over the list.

> My ideal proposal goes one step further:  The user should be allowed to allocate a VTKWriter,
> and hand it to the VTKSeqenceWriter.  That would solve your problem, because you could call
> your addData method with that VTKWriter object, and addData again wouldn't have to care
> whether the VTKWriter object was used standalone or as part of a VTKSequenceWriter.
> It would also allow us to get rid of the VTKSubsamplingSequenceWriter: The same functionality
> would be achieved by handing a VTKSubsamplingWriter to the VTKSequenceWriter class.
> Finally, it would allow to handle all other writers derived from VTKWriter in the same way.
> They exist: I actually have one of those.
>
> Opinions?

That does look like a good idea. I would like to still revert the
changes to the
VTKSequenceWriter since it does break code. The new structure could be
implemented
separately (simply
template <class Writer> class SequenceWriter
for example since it would not be restricted to VTK any more if I
understood you suggestion correctly).

When the new class is finished we could decide to deprecate the
VTKSequenceWriter.

Best
Andreas