[Dune-devel] Do votes finish early when the outcome is clear?

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 27 19:01:36 CET 2015

Am 27.01.2015 um 14:19 schrieb Markus Blatt:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:35:40AM +0100, Christoph GrĂ¼ninger wrote:
>> you can derive that from
>>
>>> Future decisions are to be taken by voting with a simple majority (at
>>> least 50% of non-abstained votes) by all core developers. The votes
>>> of non-participating core developers are to be taken as abstentions.
>>

> IMHO if someone has not yet voted it is not an abstention until the period
> over.
>
> There is another reason not to end voting prematurely:
> People might not have taken the time yet, to look at the issue. Still
> they might find some problem with the proposal  once they do take the
> time. Maybe others have until then not realised the particular corner
> case that is problematic and might even change their vote once they
> are enlightened.
>
> Ergo, I would not like votes ending before either the voting period is
> over (or all have vote, which seems quite rare).
>
> Markus

In principle I support Markus' view. Sometimes interesting arguments
come up late, that would be overseen otherwise. Perhaps we could
accelerate clear situations by the following rules:

1.If someone did not vote or if he adds "needs further discussion"
  to his vote, then he may change his mind depending on the
  discussion. Such votes are non-final until the period ends.

  (Especially: Not voting means non-final abstention)

2.If someone voted without adding "needs further discussion"
  then the vote is final.

  (Especially: Voting without any marks means final abstention)

3.All votes get final if the period is over.

4.A vote is decided if there's simple majority of _final_ votes
  (at least 50% of non-abstained _final_ votes)

The word 'final' is formal here and everyone may also change
his 'final' vote as long as the vote is note decided yet.

This would allow to accelerate the decision only in very clear
situations, while it allows to keep the discussion open if
needed.

Best,
Carsten