[Dune-devel] Building dune-common with gcc-4.8 fails

Ansgar Burchardt burchardt at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Jul 7 11:00:14 CEST 2015

Carsten Gräser <graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de> writes:
> Am 03.07.2015 um 16:39 schrieb Christian Engwer:
>> I can confirm this behaviour for debian testing.
> that's a little sad, because it means that none of our
> debian-using dev's has lately tested the release branch
> with any but the newest compilers.

With openmpi this doesn't seem to happen:

  $ mpicxx.openmpi -show
  g++ -I/usr/lib/openmpi/include -I/usr/lib/openmpi/include/openmpi -pthread -L/usr//lib -L/usr/lib/openmpi/lib -lmpi_cxx -lmpi -ldl -lhwloc

No -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE or -fstack-protector.

mpich seems to pass all of the build flags used to build mpich itself:

  $ mpicxx.mpich -show
  g++ -g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wl,-z,relro -I/usr/include/mpich -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lmpichcxx -lmpich -lopa -lmpl -lrt -lcr -lpthread

I think this is a bug in Debian's mpich package: just because the
package is built with certain options this does not mean that these
compiler options should be passed to applications built using "mpicxx".

In fact this looks like https://bugs.debian.org/624349 was reintroduced
in a later version. I'll reopen the bug, but it will probably take some
time to get fixed (and the buggy version is also in the Debian 8
release, and probably several Ubuntu releases).

Ansgar