[Dune-devel] .in-file mechanism with cmake?!

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Wed Jul 15 16:44:05 CEST 2015

you really hate our users, don't you?

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 04:27:04PM +0200, Christoph Grüninger wrote:
> Hi Christian,
> no, I am against such a hack. All this magic makes it more complicated
> to understand the CMake scripts.
>
> > this is no option, as the module is supposed to work with both
> > autotools and cmake.
> >
> > Remember... we are in the transition period ;-)
>
> How about using a second ini input file?
>
> I don't see why we (you) should make complicated workarounds when we can
> keep the problem local. Right after the next release you would be able
> to get rid of the old file together with Autotools.

this would not be complicated at all. Complicated is the stuff that
translates opts files to cmake defines.

A simpler solution, but without the possibility of deprecation
warnings is a command like

set_automake_path_variables()

which sets the set of path variables and allows to use the
substitution in both cases. Sure, the user can add the list of defines
in each CMakeLists.txt, but I think this makes the files far less
readable.

Christian