[Dune-devel] Dereferencing an iterator post 2.4.

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jun 8 10:12:26 CEST 2015

Dear all,
may I point your attention to this question recently asked by Jonathan:

Am 29.05.2015 um 10:57 schrieb Jonathan Youett:>
> I am currently adjusting a meta grid to 'future 2.4'. In the 2.4 release
> notes it says
>
> 'Iterators are now allowed to return temporary Entity or Intersection
> objects instead of references'
>
> Is it already specified what the return type will be after the
> transition phase e.g. in 3.0? Or will it always stay grid-dependent?

By producing all the deprecation warnings in 2.4 we clearly state that
user code and 3rd party grid managers have to be adjusted.
But we do not clearly state in which direction this has to be done.
This does especially include the answer to this question.

Another question, that was IMO never discussed is, if we also
allow to return copies of EntityImp instead of Entity. Currently
the compatibility code in the interface enforces that this is
not OK (altough it could be adjusted accordingly). But once the
code is removed, it may compile and work perfectly.

In my opinion we should sort these kind of things out to give
(meta-)grid developers a clear perspective. And it would be best
to do this before the release.

Best,
Carsten