[Dune-devel] BCRSMatrix implicit build mode

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Mon Nov 30 11:53:29 CET 2015

Hi,

last week I was thinking: Wow, this build mode together with the
ImplicitMatrixBuilder is really awesome and can be used to elegantly
implement various ILU methods.

Unfortunately, and as a bit of a surprise, the complexities of
entry(row, col) and mat[row][col] are quite different. The first does
a linear search while the latter does a binary one. If I recall
correctly, then the original proposal was always keep the columns
ordered and shift the higher entries by one place in case of
insertion of a new value.

What is the reason for the deviation from the original proposal? Did
you do any timings (based on average nonzeros per row) when your or
the original approach is more efficient?

Cheers,

Markus
Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858