[Dune-devel] [Dune-Commit] [Commit] dune-grid - 6041288: use new gridfactory based hybrid testgrid in ug's grid test

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Oct 14 16:35:24 CEST 2015

Hi Christian,

between the lines, I read the question whether tests are allowed to depend on
example grids. Of course, the term 'example grid' is currently undefined.

In my interpretation of the word 'example grid', they are part of the
documentation. As I don't need to install the documentation, but might want to
install the test suite, 'example grids' cannot be used in the tests (in my opinion).

Let us, therefore, coin the term 'test grid'. The purpose of a test grid is not
the illustration of a Dune feature. It is a set of data required for a
(regression) test. While a test grid might also serve as an example grid (and
vice versa), their purpose is very different (like a price of $3.14 has nothing
to do with the first three digits of pi).

Such a test grid could then be put in 'prefix/include/dune/grid/test' (or a
subdirectory), if they are contained in a header. Data files (e.g., gmsh data)
would obviously need to be installed in some appropriate data directory, e.g.,
'prefix/share/dune/test/grids'. Libraries would be treated in the obvious manner.

One final note: In my opinion, this discussion includes the gmsh and dgf files
used in our tests. Personally, I never liked them being in 'doc/grids' (though I
could not say why).

Best,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Nolte <nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

Universität Freiburg                                   phone: +49-761-203-5630
Abteilung für angewandte Mathematik                    fax:   +49-761-203-5632
Hermann-Herder-Straße 10
79104 Freiburg, Germany