[Dune-devel] [Dune] dune & cmake

Robert Kloefkorn robertk at posteo.de
Wed Apr 20 11:22:55 CEST 2016

Hi Ansgar,

I agree with Martins point of view. Let me further point out that, for
example, the Open Porous Media Project (opm-project.org) uses DUNE but
does not use the DUNE build system. Whether this is a good idea is
arguable, but at least it tells you that you don't have to stick to
dunecontrol and the rest. You can always build your own, like this other
guy from HU Berlin.

> However DUNE does things differently: `config.h` in dune-myapplication
> also configures dune-common, dune-grid and other modules. This forces
> dune-myapplication to use DUNE's build system: there is no other way >
to generate the correct `config.h`.

I also have the feeling that many of the "problems" we are facing with
the build system now are because we chose a build system that is not
meant to work with multiple modules and in addition only works nicely
for small projects. From a CMake point of view you should merge all your
dune modules in one big module, each sub module being a sub folder, and
create one CMakeLists.txt. Then, miraculously, all would use the same
config.h and nobody would ever complain about that.

Best,

Rob