[Dune-devel] cmake timouts

Ansgar Burchardt Ansgar.Burchardt at tu-dresden.de
Tue Dec 6 15:34:37 CET 2016

On Tue, 2016-12-06 at 15:27 +0100, Markus Blatt wrote:
> > I'm also not quite sure why one has to explicitly specify a TIMEOUT
> > for MPI tests given a default value exists?
>
> Probably to manually kill all remaining processes in a case of
> deadlock or exceptions on just one process? (I have seen cases where
> stale processes stay alive otherise)

Well, `dune_add_test` already uses `TIMEOUT 300` when no timeout is
specified.  Why should I have to write that again for MPI tests?
(And even that `TIMEOUT 300` is redundant as CTest has a default
timeout of 2500s IIRC.)

And then there is usually a global timeout as well when tests are run
in an automated environment (which then can kill all processes if
implemented properly; usually a program cannot know which background
processes were spawned).

Ansgar