[Dune-devel] Preparation of GSoC 2016 application

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 3 14:29:57 CET 2016

Am 02.02.2016 um 15:14 schrieb Markus Blatt:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 02:46:12PM +0100, Christoph GrĂ¼ninger wrote:
>> Dear fellow Dune developers,
>> I created a wiki page with last year's project ideas and junior jobs
>> http://users.dune-project.org/projects/gsoc2016/wiki/Wiki
>>

> Just two comment on the projects:
> Project 1:
>   It might be more usefull to look at hunter
>   https://github.com/ruslo/hunter and maybe base
>   development on it. Not sure whether we can achieve the flexibility
>   of dunecontrol.
>
> Project 2:
>   I am not really sure whether curvilinear-grid meets all the
>   requirements to be worked on, see
>   e.g. https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq#what_are_the_eligibility_requirements_for_a_mentoring_organization
>   This is not 100% clear, but I would assume that the project to work
>   on has to be under an OSI approved licence, see
>   http://opensource.org/licenses for a list.
While the page you linked is not 100% clear regarding the license
of the project itself, the FAQ for students clearly states that all
code produced by students must be released under an OSI approved
license.

Hence this project is out of the game unless curvilinear-grid
is released under such a license. And "we'll free it once we
get funded" is surely also not an option.

Carsten