[Dune-devel] Dune 2.4.1

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Feb 5 15:08:15 CET 2016

Hi everyone,

I am currently putting the final touches on the new PDELab release (better late
than never…), but during testing, I’ve stumbled across an ugly problem with
the UMFPack test: UMFPack is used as the default coarse grid solver in AMG,
and because the UMFPack test doesn’t work for recent versions of the library,
we get ugly link errors with lots of PDELab programs on current Linux distros.
We can’t release PDELab in this state.

AFAICS, there are two options:

- Backport the UMFPack test from dune-common to dune-pdelab and override
  the test for all modules that are downstream of PDELab.
- Backport the UMFPack test to the 2.4 release branch of dune-common and do
  a Dune 2.4.1 release really soon.

Really soon in this context would mean within the next two to three weeks, as we would
need it for our Dune course at the beginning of March. I would still prefer this option
because we will have to port the test anyway given the expected lifetime of Dune 2.4,
and the hackery of modifying a core module test in PDELab really doesn’t appeal to me.

I would volunteer to handle the release; currently, there is almost nothing on the release
branches, but I would look through the commits since then and backport obvious fixes.
Dominic would be willing to help with testing etc. This would be a rather small release,
but we (Heidelberg) would really like to have it.

What are your opinions?

Steffen