[Dune-devel] [GSoC2016]

Michaël Sghaïer sghaier.michael at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 18:33:12 CET 2016

Hi,

my name is Michaël, I am a second year student in software engineering at
École Polytechnique de Montréal and I would like to participate in the GSoC
2016.
After carefully reviewing all the projects proposed by the enrolled
organizations, I think I am really interested in the DUNE project and the
idea of writing a grid backend based on the p4est library: it is modern
C++, your codebase is rich and well documented, the idea seems to involve
performance issues I am interested in and finally, it will be a great
programming and intellectual challenge!

I know DUNE is a modular toolbox for solving partial differential equations
with grid-based methods and said like that, it seems related to some
advanced mathematical concepts. So I am wondering: what are the
mathematical backgrounds required to complete the project (number 2)
without a lot of troubles?
I had a few courses in algrebra, differential calculus (but nothing
advanced, just the basis) and also one course on electromagnetic fields
where I had the occasion to use the finite element method (but just in 2D),
is that enough? (I am not worried about diving myself into some literature
on the subject but it should be realistic.)

To familiarizing myself with the project, I downloaded and built all the
dune modules. Now, I am reading the grid-howto pdf document and trying to
play with the provided code in the dune-grid-howto module.
Just to be sure, the bibliography given in the grid-howto.pdf mentions
books which are at least 13 years old, are they deprecated or not yet?

I also looked at the junior jobs and I think I am going to work on the
missing Jacobian function, is that job still relevant? (I ask the question
because some jobs are linked to closed tracker issues and thus appear to be
no more relevant (like FS#1546 or FS#1331))
By the way, how are we supposed to show you our code? By doing a pull
request in the GitLab?

Kind regards,
Michaël